Investment Casting process – Overview
The method of investment casting involves covering a wax design with a refractory ceramic substance before pouring molten metal into the resulting mould. After the ceramic coating material has been allowed to dry and become brittle, the wax will be melted off, which will leave an interior hollow in the form of the geometry of the finished object. After the wax design has been removed, the empty space in the mould is filled with molten metal. After the metal has cooled and solidified within the ceramic chamber, the ceramic will be removed from the metal casting. A net or near-net precision metal component is produced as a by-product of this process. This component has the potential to be used for a wide variety of applications across a number of different sectors.
The Surge Of Interest In Medical Investment Castings
The field of medicine is expanding at a pace that is far quicker than in previous years. Every day, new technologies and equipment that can save people’s lives are being put into use, which is having a profound impact on the lives of millions of people all over the globe. Because of these technologies, there is a significant increase in the need for suppliers and manufacturers that are competent in the production of goods of a high quality in a relatively short length of time. Many firms in medical industry are pioneer in this particular field. They manufacture a diverse selection of medical implants, surgical instruments, and several other medically-related items that are put to use in the medical field.
The use of medical investment casting within the context of the medical industry
- Medical investment castings is a technique that is used in the area of medicine to produce models and casts of various regions of the body. This method is used to assist medical professionals in the planning and diagnosis processes of surgical procedures.
- The creation of replicas of organs and vasculature may also be accomplished via the use of medical investment casting. This is significant because it enables medical professionals to see the functioning of organs and arteries prior to doing surgery on a patient.
- Surgical procedures, radiation treatments, and cardiology are just few of the medical specialties that make use of medical investment casting.
- The vast majority of Medical Investment Castings made by manufacturers are used in the medical field, where they offer hips and knees that have been cast with a high level of accuracy. Other aspects of the medical business that we cast for include X-ray equipment, vital scanning equipment, blood analysis equipment, and so on.
The following are some of the advantages that come with using medical investment casting:
- Seamless Touch
In medical investment casting, a ceramic mould is used, which enables the production of a surface finish that is significantly smooth, often exceeding 125 RA when cast.
- Quicker Output
Investment castings cut down on the amount of time spent on labour and offer speedier lead times since they need a much reduced amount of machining once the casting has been completed.
- Precision machining
Investment castings maintain tighter tolerances, which results in less machining being necessary after the casting process.
- The level of manufacturing
Medical investment casting are able to meet your needs, whether you are seeking for prototypes or complete turnkey manufacturing. We often manufacture huge volume orders of 10,000 or more and even higher quantities.
- Production of Components Tailored to Individual Patients
We have the capability to generate patient-specific components from 3D CAD when the project calls for it. They are able to do patient-specific knee implants more quickly than our rivals since we have been doing it for years.